*As featured in Marie Claire, UK
10 tips for getting over heartbreak
We all need a little help getting back on track after heartbreak. These 10 tips should help you get there.
1. First things first. Start small. All you need is a pen and paper. And even the most heart broken of us can reach for a notepad and pen. Now, write a short list of things that make you happy that aren’t connected to anybody else. To give you a hand, here is mine.
Coffee in the morning
Playing with the dog
Staying in my pyjamas all day on a Sunday
Now make time for ALL of them in your life.
2. Make a list of all the things you loved about your ex. Yes that’s right. These are important clues. Keep it somewhere safe because when you are ready to move on, you will know what you are looking for. Let’s take the good from the bad to make the future great.
3. Now, make a list of all the things that really annoyed you about your ex. You know they are there, so dig deep. You don’t want another scrooge of a boyfriend or a man who can’t tell you how he feels. PDA, yes please. List every way in which your ex left you wanting. Even if he was your Mr Perfect. He’s let you go. He’s stupid at the very least. So find another Mr Perfect that’s focused on keeping you for good.
4. Go and buy a bottle of your aftershave. Allow yourself unadulterated access to his scent. That way you won’t find yourself sniffing cushions he sat on 10 weeks ago or sprinting down the street after a stranger who may or may not smell a bit like him. You can enjoy that smell without the man attached. So go get it. And spray it all over the place.
5. Repeat No4. for anything else of his you loved – super soft bed sheets, an apartment with a view, a tiny dog called Poo Poo Pants – go get them all. Unattach the man from the things. I bet he looks less shiny when you do. Your life does not need to be filled with lots of ‘withouts’ just cos you broke up from a guy. Have what you want. For yourself. On your terms.
6. Cry, cry, cry your eyes out. If you need to, let them lose. It’s OK to mourn. When you get back to the very top you will know that you came from the very bottom.
7. Take your female friends and relatives out for lunch. Ask them what would they do if they were you. Try and ignore Aunty Sue’s comments about being married by your age and look instead for the hidden gem. If they were single with a whole load of time to fill as they pleased, what would they do, what can’t they do because they are in love.
8. Now make a list of all the things you didn’t get to do because of your last relationship – a holiday, a hobby, a kiss with handsome James from marketing. Or maybe you lost your hard earn abs and got a little bit flabby?
9. Now go and steal them all back! Go and get back all the things you didn’t do because you fell in love.
10. And finally, sit down with a really good book. Reading is the perfect escape from heartbreak and I know a great novel, its called Love is a Thief, and it sounds right up your street.
Want more tips on getting over heartbreak?
Want more ideas on how to heal a broken heart? Perhaps you feel lost after love? Maybe you want to steal back what love stole? Or maybe you just want to dissolve into the distraction of a really good book? Love is a Thief might just be the perfect novel for you. Uplifting fiction that will get you back on track. Find out more.